The areas with the most accountant work are not necessarily the ones with the highest accountant salary. The former depends on large populations that increase the demand for business and financial transactions. The latter depends on the cost-of-living as well as supply and demand. (You can check on the standard accountant salary and CPA salary.)
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reveals that the following states have the most accountant work. Note how even in these high-employment areas, accountants still earn more than the average worker.
- California has 121.590 accountants earning a mean $36.02 per hour or $74,910 per year.
This compares to the average state wage of $24.96 hourly or $51,910 annually.
For more information, see California Accountant Salary.
- New York is the third most populous state with over 19.4 million inhabitants.
The state has over 8.4 million workers making a mean $25.39 hourly or $52,810 yearly.
The 92,630 accountants here average $40.90 per hour or $85,070 per year.
- Texas is the second most populous state with over 25.1 million people.
Over 10 million workers make mean salaries of $20.72 per hour or $43,090 per year.
Wages run a mean $33.71 hourly or $70,120 yearly for 83,560 accountants.
For a complete table of accountant work by state, see Accountant Salary by State.
The most populous cities in the U.S. also have the most accountant work. Accountants make more than the average population.
- New York City is the most populous urban area in the U.S. with 11.7 million people.
It shows over five million workers averaging $28.13 hourly or $58,500 yearly.
The city has 64,450 accountants earning a mean $43.13 hourly or $89,720 yearly.
- Los Angeles is the second city with mean pay at $35.72 per hour or $74,290 per year for 33.880 accountants. For more information, see California Accountant Salary.
- Washington DC has 5.5 million people.
It has over 2.3 million employed making mean wages of $30.64 per hour or $63,720 per year.
The city shows 30,190 accountants making mean salaries of $40.35 per hour or $83,930 per year.
For a table of accountant work in selected large cities, see Accountant Salary by City.
The following industries show the most accountant work in the country. Accountants also earn more than the average worker in these businesses.
- Accounting, tax preparation, bookkeeping and payroll services employ 284,070 accountants with mean pay of $36.09 hourly or $75,060 yearly.
This compares to more than 830,000 workers in these industries averaging $28.10 per hour or $58,450 per year.
- Companies that take over the management of other companies hire 78,040 accountants at mean wages of $33.72 per hour or $70,150 per year.
Average pay for these companies is $34.45 hourly or $71,650 yearly for 1.9 million individuals.
- Local government, such as in cities and towns, average $29.03 per hour or $60,380 annually for 40,240 accounting professionals.
Over 5.5 million local employees make mean wages of $22.47 per hour and $46,730 annually.