The areas with the most accountant work are not necessarily the ones with the highest accountant salary. Employment depends on large populations that increase the demand for business and financial transactions. Pay depends on the cost-of-living as well as supply and demand. (You can check on the standard accountant salary and CPA salary.)
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reveals that the following states have the most accountant work. Note how even in these high-employment areas, accountants still earn more than the average worker.
- California has 133,570 accountants earning a mean $75,870 per year, or $36.48 per hour.
This compares to the average wage of $52,350 yearly, or $25.17 hourly, for all workers in the state.
For more information, see California Accountant Salary.
- New York is the third most populous state with over 19.4 million inhabitants.
The state has over 8.5 million workers making a mean $53,580 per year, or $25.76 per hour.
The 94,300 accountants here average $85,140 yearly, or $40.93 hourly.
- Texas is the second most populous state with over 25.1 million people.
Over 10.5 million workers make mean salaries of $43,620 per year, or $20.97 per hour.
For 91,300 accountants, wages run a mean $71,850 yearly, or $34.54 hourly.
For a complete table of accountant work by state, see Accountant Salary by State.
The most populous cities in the U.S. also have the most accountant work. Accountants make more than the average population.
- New York City is the most populous urban area in the U.S. with 11.7 million people.
It shows over five million workers averaging $59,550 yearly, or $28.63 hourly.
The city has 65,730 accountants earning a mean annual $91,240, or $43.87 per hour.
- Los Angeles is the second city for population with mean pay at $75,530 yearly, or $36.31 hourly, for 41,240 accountants. For more information, see California Accountant Salary.
- Washington DC has 5.5 million people.
It has over 2.3 million employed making mean wages of $64,690 per year, or $31.10 per hour.
The city shows 32,190 accountants making mean salaries of $84,320 yearly, or $40.54 hourly.
For a table of accountant work in selected large cities, see Accountant Salary by City.
The following industries show the most accountant work in the country. Accountants also earn more than the average worker in these businesses.
- Accounting, tax preparation, bookkeeping and payroll services employ 308,470 accountants with mean pay of $75,790 yearly, or $36.44 hourly.
This compares to more than 868,000 workers in these industries averaging $60,210 per year, or $28.95 per hour.
- Companies that take over the management of other companies hire 82,790 accountants at mean wages of $70,480 per year, or $33.88 per hour.
Average pay for these companies is $73,320 yearly, or $35.25 hourly, for 2 million individuals.
- Local government, such as in cities and towns, average $60,660 yearly, or $29.16 hourly, for 41,440 accounting professionals.
Over 5.4 million employees in local government make mean wages of $47,360 per year, or $22.77 per hour.